On Being Awkward

Dog Kisses
Sloppy kisses from Theo - thanks, bud.

The other day, my husband and I were taking one of those silly "Which Fictional Character Are You" quizzes. One of the questions asked us to rank our level of awkwardness. I put mine pretty high, I know myself fairly well. When it was his turn, we were chatting about it and he claimed to be less awkward than me. I was taken aback. He's a gamer, a developer, a high level nerd. I told him I was surprised, because I'd selected a higher awkwardness level than him. He looked me dead in the eye and said, "Jaci, you're wearing a bat headband right now." Oh. Right. Fair point, sir. (My eccentricities are the reason he was attracted to me in the first place, of course.)

Jaci wearing a bat headband
The aforementioned Halloween headband

Being awkward is my trademark. I wouldn't be me without all the quirky hats, costumes, headbands, mustaches; without the weird moments when I say something that makes everyone feel uncomfortable and mildly confused; without picking my nose in 50% of the Snaps I send.

Jaci in a Scooby-Doo onesie
Halloween outfit number two


My awkwardness is also what endears me to people. They know that they can rely on me to make any situation entertaining. They know I won't be fake, that what I say is what I mean, because I don't censor myself. Being true to yourself is being fearless, it is showing the world that you won't conform to its standards and try to blend in with everyone else. 
Dressed as Aaron Rodgers
Just your average softball tournament

Weddings, funerals, meetings, road trips, ridiculous people help make them all more tolerable. We are the heroes of the bored and dejected.

Ugly Sweater Christmas party
Apparently I wear mustaches a lot?

There's nothing wrong with being awkward. My mom raised me to believe that normal is boring and I love that. Maybe I'm not for everyone but I like me. I enjoy my quirks and flaws, they make me the friend, sister, wife that I am. You should like you, too...and maybe try to be a little more awkward. It's fun, I promise.

Always,

Jaci

Comments

Popular Posts