Success


Some workdays are so stressful, you end up under the desk with a dog comforting you...

...or curled up in the fetal position

Success is a fickle thing. We measure it by such a variety of factors: how much money we make, what kind of office space we have, what our job title is, what our family looks like, how much stuff we have, it goes on and on. 

So often, our view of personal success is based pretty firmly on our career.

When I got my first client for my business, I was elated. I had hit the peak of success in my own scorebook. Working from home was a dream come true, and it was finally happening!

Fast-forward to today and...I. Am. A. Mess. I spend my entire workday second guessing whether or not I'm doing a good job. As a self employed virtual contractor, I don't have any direct supervisors that communicate my wins and fails with me. There's no reviews to gauge my work. 

I feel like a baller half the time, and an utter failure the rest of the time. I'm constantly stressing myself out, convincing myself that I'm the worst possible Social Media Strategist, that I'm doing terrible, that I'm going to lose my client because I'm a bumbling idiot that oversold my skills.

Moral of the story is.

.

Stop evaluating yourself based on ridiculous standards. We are all screwed up. Nobody has it together. If someone says they do, they're probably lying. Sure, strive to be better, stronger, happier...but don't beat yourself up when change takes time. Take classes to learn more about your career path, ask for a raise if you think you deserve it, train for that marathon. Don't give up on your dreams just because things aren't going exactly how you had imagined. Recalculate and carry on.

Always,

Jaci

Comments

Popular Posts