But...Are You Really?

Photo: getlighthouse.com
So many people fall into the habit of saying "I'm sorry" with no meaning behind it. We have apologized so many times, for so many things, that we simply say the words as a part of our daily routine. We've been desensitized to remorse.

The best way to identify an insincere apology is to analyze the resulting actions. True regret inspires change. An apology without behavior correction renders the apology obsolete. A phony apology reveals selfishness and immaturity in a person.

Do us all a favor, if you're not really sorry, don't apologize. It's truly a waste of everyone's time. Anyone who has received an insincere apology knows, the whole process is a hassle. It's emotionally taxing, a roller coaster for the heart. We feel relieved, knowing the person regrets their actions, and give them a chance to redeem themselves. When the behavior doesn't change, we find ourselves feeling defeated and betrayed. Depending on the level of hurt, we often have a hard time allowing ourselves to trust anyone again. It's a destructive cycle. One I'd rather avoid.

I know I've been guilty of this very transgression. From now on, I want to make a conscious effort of really feeling remorse when I say the words "I'm sorry." I don't want to toy with anyone's emotions, tearing them apart and leaving brokenness in my wake.

People are fragile. We are so easily wounded. Even if I don't completely understand how my actions injured someone else, it's my duty as a compassionate human to do what I can to make things right.

I want to say what I mean, AND mean what I say.

Always,

Jaci

Comments

Popular Posts